Tips for traveling to Nepal
Nepal is a country most well known for its beautiful landscapes, impressive mountains and snowy terrains. If you’re an adventure seeker or adrenaline junkie, there are plenty of activities you can do to satisfy your craving. It’s the country where you’ll find ten of the highest peaks on the planet. It also has lush greenery which nature lovers will surely enjoy. There is a wide variety of things to do in Nepal for tourists. Nepali is the country’s main language but English is also widely spoken. The friendly locals are very eager to share their culture and traditions with visitors from around the world. It’s an exotic land that entices, inspires and excites anyone who steps foot on its magnificent land. Here is a list of the best tips to keep in mind before you visit the wonderful country of Nepal.
Taking a flight to Mount Everest
Majority of the local airlines offer flights between 7AM to 9AM and they all depart from Kathmandu. This is a must try activity during your visit since it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. You’ll be able to drift above the clouds and enjoy Mount Everest without feeling exhausted from climbing it. The local airlines have made sure that the windows on the plane are non-tinted so that tourists can fully capture its beauty.
• Not everyone is aware that you have the option not to hike to Everest Base Camp if you don’t want to. That’s why this is one of the top tips of Nepal that you should learn before planning your trip.
The local Nepali food is also known as Dal Bhat which is made up of lentils, rice and soup. The side dishes consist of fresh vegetables like cauliflower and potato. It’s a vegetarian meal but you can also request to add chicken or mutton to your order.
Local & International Flavors
During your visit, you will be amazed with the wide variety of meals you can choose from. You’ll be able to have a taste of local cuisine as well as international flavors. The people of Nepal enjoy their food being spicy. However, if you’re not a fan of spicy food you can request for a milder version of the dishes they offer.
• Their customary cuisine is numerous around the city so you’ll be able to experience it at just about any local restaurant.
• Nepali food has been strongly influenced by Indian cuisine which makes it very tasty and delicious.
If you’re an adventure seeker or adrenaline junkie, Nepal should definitely be part of your bucket list. It’s impeccable terrain makes it a top destination for adventure tourism.
Bring A Friend
One of the best tips you should learn before your visit is to have a friend to go on your adventures with you. Hiking and trekking on your own is highly discouraged. It’s recommended to have someone with you so that you can prevent dangerous accidents from happening. If you’re new to hiking or trekking, it’s best to hire a professional guide through a registered trek agency. The mountainous areas of Nepal is known to be complicated and difficult to tread. This is why injuries are bound to happen if you’re not well prepared. You can also easily get lost without someone there to guide you.
• If you plan on a trek to Everest Base Camp, you have to prepare yourself for the possibility of high altitude sickness.
• Make sure to dress appropriately and to only bring things that you’re sure you can carry during the entirety of your hike.
Traveling Nepal requires you to have a good understanding of the country’s social etiquette. This is an important step for your travel since you have to make sure that you’re giving respect to their culture.
First, you have to learn how the locals greet each other. The traditional way involves placing your palms together in a prayer position and then saying “Namaste”.
-Showing Respect to Elders
Second, if you’re speaking with someone older than you, you can use the words “Dai” for men or “Didi” for women.
Third, it’s important to ensure that you’re not stepping on another person’s outstretched legs since it’s considered very impolite in Nepali culture. You should also avoid touching another person with your feet. As long as you obey the local culture of Nepal, you wouldn’t encounter any issues during your visit. Public display of affection is also considered rude in the country.
• If you’ve been invited into a home of a Nepali person, make sure to remove your shoes before entering as a sign of respect.
• If you’re going swimming, it’s best to wear a one piece swimsuit instead of a bikini.
• Make sure to wear appropriate clothing while you’re visiting all the tourist spots. This is because wearing revealing clothing is frowned upon in Nepali culture.