Future RI Convention:
June 21-25, 2025 - Calgary, Canada. We look forward to seeing you there!
Future RI Convention:
June 21-25, 2025 - Calgary, Canada. We look forward to seeing you there!

Merry Christmas and the New Year

Home » Blog Post » Festivals of Nepal » Merry Christmas and the New Year

Estimated reading time: 3 minutes

Are Merry Christmas and the English New Year celebrated as a festival by Nepalese people in Nepal?

Travellers frequently ask about Christmas and the English New Year celebration in Nepal. Likewise, they often ask us if Nepalese people celebrate Christmas and the English New Year as festivals. It’s a genuine question – as the majority of the population in Nepal is Hindu, which is above 80% of the total population. The remaining 20% are the religions of Buddhism, Islam and Christianity. 

There are many festival celebrations in Nepal. However, the greatest festivals in Nepal are Dashain and Deepawali. Nevertheless, Nepalese people celebrate Merry Christmas and English New Year in Nepal joyfully. However, the government does not provide a public holiday. Mainly, some tourist hubs, for instance, Thamel, Durbar Marg, tourist hotels and supper markets, are nicely decorated like a princess during the festivals. Similarly, the festival is equally celebrated in the Lakeside area of Pokhara, Chitwan and some other tourist destinations of Nepal.

There are also Christian devotees in Nepal who celebrate Christmas as their festival. They go to church, exchange presents and pray for peace and prosperity. During this festival, the shopping centres are busy selling the colourful hats of Santa Claus and some lights to the children.

Holiday Discount Packages

The Christmas and New Year Holiday Tour Package in Nepal is an ideal vacation for those looking for a unique holiday experience. This trip includes visiting the famous Kathmandu Valley, known as the “City of Temples”. The valley has been inhabited since the Stone Age and is still home to many temples and monasteries. The valley is also the birthplace of Buddhism and Hinduism.

The programme below is just a sample cultural tour package. In addition, we have some targeted selling holiday tour packages with a special discount offer, which you can find under the title “Festive Holidays”. To get a discount coupon code of up to 30% off, you can contact Nepal Hiking with the coupon code “festiveholiday23‘ or click Sign up today.


Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu

We will arrange a pick-up from the airport and transfer you to Kathmandu Suite Home. Overnight at hotel.

Day 02: Sightseeing in Kathmandu

After breakfast (9 am). Guided tour of Pashupatinath Temple, Boudhanath Stupa, Kathmandu Durbar Square, Patan Museum, Bhaktapur Durbar Square and Swoyambhunath Stupa. Overnight at hotel.

Day 03: Drive to Chitwan National Park

After breakfast, leave the hotel by 8 a.m. and drive to Chitwan National Park (175 km/5 hours drive in a private vehicle). Check-in at Hotel Parkland. After lunch, take a walking tour to Tharu Village and join the Tharu cultural programme in the evening. Overnight at hotel.

Day 04: Chitwan National Park – Jungle Safari

After breakfast, visit the Elephant breeding centre and the Canoeing trip, and afternoon, after lunch, a jeep drive tour in the national park. Overnight at hotel.

Day 05: Drive to Pokhara

Early morning, join us for a bird-watching tour and leave for Pokhara (a 4/5 hours drive) after breakfast. Check-in hotel Kantipur. After lunch, a guided tour of the Mountain Museum, Bindebasini Temple, Seti River Gorge and Gupteshowri Cave. Overnight at Hotel Kantipur.

Day 06: Sightseeing 

After breakfast, you will walk to the Lakeside, boat at Fewa Lake, and hike to the World Peace Stupa on the hilltop for an hour. After lunch, drive back to the hotel.

Day 07: Fly back to Kathmandu. 

After breakfast, we will drop you at Pokhara airport and return to Kathmandu. Then, finally, we will pick you up and transfer you to Kathmandu Suite Home.

Day 08: Departure

After breakfast, we will arrange a car transfer to the airport.

Related Links

Pay Safely With Us

The payment is encrypted and
transmitted securely with an SSL

Get a Question?

Do not hesitate to give us a call. We are an expert team and we are happy to talk to you.
+977 9851068290


Stay Updated with the Latest News and Exclusive Offers!

Proceed Booking